Monday, November 26, 2012

Apps for Spanish Education

Working on Interactivity #3 was a very enriching experience because it brought a lot of resources to my attention that I did not even imagine could ever exist, but that was only the beginning.
I am currently tutoring a few Spanish students and suggested that they look for apps in their phones and/or tablets to help them learn and review "on the go." I thought it would be a good way to take learning outside of the classroom and also make it a little fun. When asked what apps would I recommend, I could honestly not give a straight answer. I did not know any!!
That's when I decided to research the available foreign language learning apps on the market. I came across this very interesting blog that has compiled and categorized a great list based on the feedback on their readers! Take a look at the page here. I liked it a lot because they were all for teaching Spanish and designed with cultural context, which is extremely important while teaching any language. I already checked some of the apps out and will definitively be sharing them with my students and their parents soon.
In addition to providing a great inventory of apps, the article also briefly discusses the problems with increased technology settings as more schools are fostering the permanent integration of technology in the classrooms. The presence of technology in the classroom does not immediately guarantee meaningful and authentic learning, but it can make it more interactive and fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment